Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Celia and the Fairies

Hey there~

Hope all is well with you!

In writing news, I recently completed a manuscript geared toward middle grade readers, a category for kids ages 8 to 12. When my sister Kay and I recently talked about the books we read and loved as kids (Charlotte's Web, The Borrowers, Five Little Peppers, The Secret Language, the Edward Eager books),we discovered that most of them would be considered middle grade by today's standards.

I've written other books (none of which have seen print yet), but I'm more enthused about this book than anything I've written before. I loved writing it and I mean LOVED writing it. Most days I couldn't wait to get back to the pages to see where the story led me. It's just the kind of book I would have devoured as a nine-year-old. I really hope an editor agrees because I'd be very proud to see this in print. Also, I have more ideas, so although it works as a stand-alone title, it could very well be a series.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the beginning--

Celia Lovejoy knew everything that went on in her house. Everything important anyway, because every evening she snuck out of bed and spied on her parents from the top of the stairs.So when her mother and father called her into the living room for a big announcement, she already knew what they were going to say.

They motioned for her to sit down and then her mother began. “As you know, Celia, Grammy has been living with Aunt Joanne since you were a baby.”

Dad leaned forward, elbows resting on his knees. “Just recently Aunt Joanne accepted a new job overseas. She’ll be selling her condo and moving to France.”

“So it’s been decided,” Mom said, “that Grammy will come to live with us.”

Later in the conversation, Celia receives a warning.

“We’ll be relying on you to help Grammy,” her father said. “This will be a difficult change for her. She’ll need help finding things around the house, especially in the kitchen. And one more thing.” He stopped to look at her mother, who nodded in agreement. “Your grandmother might tell you stories about magical things in the woods behind our house. It was a story she used to tell me when I was a child, just a made-up story. Lately, for some reason, she’s been insisting it’s true."

“Luckily,” her mother added, “you’re old enough to know there is no such thing as magic. Be kind and agree with her, but remember what we’ve said. We’ll need to watch out for Grammy. Your father and I know we can count on you to help.”

“What kind of magical things?” Celia asked.

Her father waved his hand dismissively. “Nothing you need to worry about. Just a lot of nonsense.”

But of course it wasn't nonsense. After Grammy tells stories of long-ago encounters with the fairies, Celia gets a visit from a fairy girl named Mira asking for her help. It seems that the ruthless Vicky McClutchy, a childhood rival of Celia's father, holds a grudge and is intent on revenge. With the help of fairy magic, Celia must summon her courage and use her wits if she's to thwart Vicky's plot to destroy her house and the woodland home of Mira and her clan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's the gist of it. So far, the title is Celia and the Fairies. The manuscript is going out into the world this week and I have my fingers crossed. Here's hoping. :)

Live long and prosper (just recently saw the Star Trek movie)!

Karen


P.S. I told a writer friend the premise of this book, and she said wistfully, "I used to leave notes for the fairies." How adorable is that?

16 comments:

Therese said...

That sounds wonderful! I would gladly take an ARC when it gets published-autogrophed of course! ;)

Karen McQ. said...

Therese, you are fast becoming one of my favorite people in the whole world! I like the way you think. :)

Anonymous said...

Did you know that Waldorf education encourages the whole fairy thing? Fairy wings, fairy houses, leaving notes for fairies -- it's a very popular thing in the natural parenting crowd.

And I LOVE the intro. Can I read a copy when Mom's done with it? I think I need something lighter after the flu pandemic book. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that last comment was from me. :)

Kay

Karen McQ. said...

Hi Kay!
I didn't know of the connections between Waldorf schools/natural parenting and fairies, but I just came back from seaching and Mr. Google backs you up completely!

Not only that, but a friend gave me the heads-up regarding Fairy Festivals. Apparently, they have them all over the country and are really popular. I had no idea. I found a few festival photos online and the little girls with their fairy wings are just so cute.

Thanks for commenting and yes, you can read it!

cindy said...

Your book sounds great. Good luck finding a home for it!

Bill B said...

OK, I'm sucked in and must read the rest of the book. It must be geared toward my age group ...at a 6-yr-old's bd party a boy on the inflatable trampoline looked at me and said to his friend, "Hey, grown-ups can't be in here!" She told him, "That's no grown-up, that's Bill!"

Karen McQ. said...

Thanks Cindy!

And Bill, you crack me up!

I know what you mean, though. I had to channel my inner 9-year-old to write this, and found it really easy to do.

Thanks again for reading...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great beginning Karen. I hope that you will post a few more excepts. I could use a good read during my summer off.

Karen McQ. said...

Thanks Anon!

You have the summer off? I'm hoping that's a good thing...

Keetha said...

I can't wait to read it!

Karen McQ. said...

Thanks, Keetha!

Weronika said...

I love your beginning, Karen--sounds like something I would pick up to read.

Karen McQ. said...

Thanks, Weronika, that means so much to me!

Patsy said...

I'd forgotten until I read this that I was so taken with fairies when I was a child. I imagined them so hard that I told friends that I saw them. I believed it. Maybe it was true.I could be Grammy.

Karen McQ. said...

Patsy,
I'd like to believe it's true too.
:)