Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Woman Who Fell Off the Planet, and other stories

Okay, I didn't really fall off the planet, I just haven't had much to say.

Since we last talked, I enjoyed a sumptuous Thanksgiving feast with my family. Turns out, I did wind up overeating on Thanksgiving day. Shoot, and I was so sure I could keep my vow of moderation on the food front. Oh, I was close, very close. Really I was. I was fine up until the end, when I figured I still had room for one small piece of pie. Ha! I clearly underestimated the way pie expands after it's eaten. Bloat city.

My Thanksgiving article in the Chicago Tribune is yesterday's news. It's now been hauled off by recycling trucks and is being made into something else. Luckily, it will be on the Tribune website for a while. If you're interested, you can see it there. Make sure you read the comments, where I'm called ignorant, insufferable and ungracious. My favorite was insufferable. My sister Kay had big fun with that, calling me insufferable at every turn.

Did you know there's this new movie out called Twilight? My daughter Maria read the book, when it first came out, back when no one had heard of it. She was one of the original Twilighters and all these Johnny-come-lately fans are getting on her nerves.

In honor of Maria's interest in Twilight (the books and now the movie), I made a cartoon here. It was a no-brainer to make, but I'm not very techno-savvy, so I was tickled when it worked out. I sent my daughter the link and she, always the polite one, listened and laughed. Jack, not so polite (age 14, you aggravate me so), said, "What's the point of that?" Did I mention he's 14?

That's all the news from Hartland, Wisconsin.

Take care and stay warm,

Karen

8 comments:

Keetha said...

"Did you know there's this new movie out called Twilight?" Too funny.

Karen McQ. said...

Glad you caught that, Keetha! I wondered if it might sound like I was completely clueless...

Sid Leavitt said...

Karen, I fell off my own planet, too, so I just read your Thanksgiving piece in the Chicago Tribune. Very funny.

As for the GOPers who didn't find it so, you've got to remember that they're still smarting from the loss of the beloved Sarah Palin and not-so-beloved John McCain to a candidate some of them still call B. Hussein Obama.

If you need an antidote to this rage, I refer you to Mike Pontillo's recent post at Mike's Circular File -- (I hope this link works): Some advice for my Republican friends.

(If the link didn't work, I'll just send an alternative in the next comment.)

Best wishes always.

Sid Leavitt said...

p.s. Apparently, the link works. And if you've seen Mike's entry, you'll know that your in-laws and I have at least one thing in common -- a love of profanity.

Of course, I no longer smoke or drink to excess, and I've managed at my age to keep my voice at a reasonable decibel level in political discussions. But I do still love to argue politics.

I remember Joe McCarthy. I hate to cast aspersions on all cheeseheads, but he was pure Limburger (or should that be Limbaugher, guffaw, guffaw). In fact, it was a nice woman from my former home state, Margaret Chase Smith, who dressed him down in the U.S. Senate -- without ever mentioning his name. How's that for class?

Karen McQ. said...

Hey Sid, always great to hear from you! Your comments educated me--I had to Google Margaret Chase Smith. You're right she was classy--quite a lady.

Don't worry about offending us cheeseheads. We're used to it.

Thanks for reading, and commenting. I feel less alone in the world when I get feedback.

Keetha said...

Oh and I read the article. It's great - I really enjoyed it.

Patsy said...

I too enjoyed the Thanksgiving article very much. Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day; I'm afraid I haven't been posting lately and was glad to see someone still looked at it.

Karen McQ. said...

Thanks Patsy! I'm glad you commented.